Thursday, March 18, 2010

Novruz Holiday and one year in Azerbaijan




Well, it's happened...one year of JaniceinBaku...and in all honesty I have felt every single minute of this year. My anniversary marks a very special occassion in the country. As is the case in other societies, the end of March marks the beginning of renewal and spring. The Novruz Bayram is a really big thing here...for the entire month but culminating in the last week on March 20th. The celebration of the four elements--water, fire, air and soil....on the last Tuesday before the 20th a ritual occurs...Fire Jumping to flame away the past and begin anew.
For me it begins another year in Baku....as I leaped over the flames...okay, I didn't jump as high as one of our students Ahmad but out with the old and in with the new!!

No comments:

Post a Comment