Saturday, April 24, 2010

Russian architect and swearing off lamb




Let me start with the Russian architect...not so aesthically attractive but they sure did build to last...and unfortunately, benign and more often intended neglect it leading to the collaspe of these building around Baku. Occassionally, I'll run across one that is being renovated like the Russian Drama house but usually the other building are be torn down or are just falling down. It's kind of unfortunate from a preservation standpoint. I am sure future generations of Azeris will wonder why their forefathers and foremothers let it happen but after 70 years of occupation and repression by the Soviets it is understandably why Azeris don't give two shits about restoring the buildings...I came across this building today and my photos don't do it justice but you can tell it was quite spectacular in its day...
And, you know I've blogged about the slaughtering of lamb thing here as a national holiday. Well, I thought as long as I left town that weekend in November I'd be spared..well, this week I decided as much as I love lamb...swearing off of it. I walked past a small truck that had a peculiar odor and I peered in without breaking stride...two very dirty and woolly sheep muching on straw and as I stepped up on the curb...directly ahead a butcher shop...oh, damn the Azeris love their "really, really, really fresh lamb here"....I need mine to be a little deader...

No comments:

Post a Comment