Monday, July 20, 2009

Carry over from the Communist Days

Azerbaijan has only been independent since 1993 or so...and it's pretty easy to encounter remnants of by-gone era especially when dealing with older (over 40 year olds). They all were educated/indoctrinated in the USSR way of doing things. I don't know if I can actually cite specific examples..but you just feel it all the time. And, I don't even know what it feels like since it wasn't my system...but trust me...there is a way of doing business that makes me go ...huh? and at other times...you just want to cringe!

Here's a good one...I'm supposed to get immigration papers and one of the items is a health/physical exam. Well, not only would it cost me 85 USD but also they want to do a chest x-ray and draw blood...NO WAY AM I DOING THIS!

So my option is to "solve the problem"....I will just pay 25 USD for a certified and stamped approval that I had the exam. I asked okay who gets the money...the doctor and the lady who stamps the form....

In Azerbaijan..."solving the problem" is part of the language...yet, words like "competence" have no translation in Azeri.

No comments:

Post a Comment